Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The Punctuation Mark of Humanity???

I love question marks! Although in life it is exclamation points and periods that I seek, it the question mark that I hope describes me. I want to know truth. I want to find facts. Treasures of truth exist in periods and exclamation points. They are golden nuggets of wisdom that teach us about the true nature of life and reality. They are simple and profound statements. Yet in order to find them, I need question marks. This inquisitive mark is what leads me to them. It is this interrogating sign that ensures me when I have found what I seek. This is important because the other signs can sometimes deceive. Lies, misunderstandings and half truths are also packaged with periods and exclamation points. They are like fool's gold. They can be signs of a closed mind. This is not the case with the beloved question mark. It is the voice of study. It is the symbol of open-mindedness. Some day I hope my knowledge is in periods and exclamation points. I hope that I will be full of the wisdom of the ages but for now I am a learner. I am growing. Curiosity births question marks and these allow my thoughts to take wing. Question marks allow me understand. Yet this tool of punctuation is not just my symbol, it is the symbol of us all. Some would like to believe that this is not the truth. Their minds and hearts are filled with periods and statements of belief. However, in my life I have not encountered any infallible sages. This means that we all share this mark. All of us are growing and learning. We all are on a journey and it is this punctuation point which alone can lead us to our destination.

1 comment:

Ruthie said...

Yes! This is why I love you.